Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 1995 04:47:00 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Announcing GABRIEL - Free SATAN Detector

>Newsgroups: comp.security.unix
>From: lat@lat.com (Los Altos Technologies)
>Subject: Announcing GABRIEL - Free SATAN Detector
>Date: Thu, 6 Apr 1995 07:07:49 GMT

    Los Altos Technologies, Inc. has released Gabriel, a
    free SATAN detector.  Gabriel gives the system
    administrator an early warning of a possible network
    intrusion by detecting and identifying unauthorized
    network probing.  Gabriel is complete and ready to run
    software that does not require Perl or any other
    public domain programs.

Gabriel's highlights:

    Ready to run for Sun Solaris1 and Solaris2 operating systems.

    Full source included.  Perl IS NOT required.

    Test script included to simplify evaluation of Gabriel.

    Built-in mechanism to send real-time alerts via pager, phone
    call, email, or online displays.

Gabriel comes with:

    gabriel_client - Reports to gabriel_server excessive probing
                     of any host on its network segment.

    gabriel_server - Gathers data from clients and notifies
                     administrator via email, pager, etc.

    install_gabriel_clients - Single script to install and start
                              client monitor programs network-wide.

    install_gabriel_server - Installs the server program.

              |  Via the World Wide Web:              |
              |       http://www.lat.com              |
              |       ftp://ftp.best.com/pub/lat      |
              |  Via FTP:                             |
              |       ftp.lat.com                     |

    Send mail to "Majordomo@lat.com" with the command
    "subscribe gabriel" in the body of the email message.

WHAT IS GABRIEL?

    As a public service, Los Altos Technologies, Inc., a provider of
    Unix security software, has developed and released a free SATAN
    detector called Gabriel(tm).  Gabriel gives the system
    administrator an early warning of possible network intrusions by
    detecting and identifying SATAN's network probing.  Gabriel is a
    complete and ready to run package that DOES NOT require Perl or
    any other software or libraries.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?

    We are providing Gabriel at no charge to our customers or anyone
    else who wishes to use it, subject to the terms explained in
    the COPYRIGHT file.

WHY DID LOS ALTOS TECHNOLOGIES CREATE GABRIEL?

    We are deeply concerned with network security and the possible
    negative effects of SATAN and other network probing software.  By
    combining SATAN with Gabriel, a system administrator can get all the
    benefits of running authorized SATAN scans without the risks of
    unauthorized and undetected network probing.

HOW IS IT SUPPORTED?  HOW DO I JOIN THE MAILING LIST?

    It is expected that future updates, enhancements and revisions
    will come from the users' group.  To subscribe to the users'
    group mailing list, send a message to "majordomo@lat.com" with
    any subject line, and inside the body of the message include the
    line "subscribe gabriel".

WHERE IS THE LATEST VERSION?

    You can get the latest version via World Wide Web or ftp.
        http://www.lat.com
        ftp://ftp.best.com/pub/lat

HOW DO I MAKE GABRIEL FROM SOURCE CODE?

    Gabriel includes pre-compiled binaries for Solaris 1.x and
    Solaris 2.x, so you do not need to build it from source.
    If you wish to compile it execute "make all" and follow
    the directions.

HOW DO I INSTALL AND EVALUATE GABRIEL?

    Follow the directions in the manual page, gabriel.8.  You can print
    this file using "troff -man -t gabriel.8 | lpr -t", or just look
    at gabriel.txt.  Basically, you just run the server install
    script, and then the client install script.

Los Altos Technologies, Inc.
2111 Grant Rd, Los Altos, CA 94024
Phone: 415/988-4848
Fax: 415/988-4860