Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2022 15:37:28 -0800
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        Simon Connah <simon.n.connah@protonmail.com>, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Developing on local FreeBSD AArch64 and deploying to FreeBSD x86_64?

On 11/15/22 15:31, Simon Connah wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> At the moment I'm only really looking at using Nodejs, PostgreSQL, nginx, git and vim so I doubt any of that will be affected by different CPU architectures. Having said that I am heavily interested in FreeBSD as a whole and I'd like to do some lower level work but I was going to try and wait before getting a cheap x86_64 laptop.

i've run and developed on both of those stacks using both amd64 and
arm64 freebsd and have had zero issues.  the only speed-bump you may hit
would be with npm modules that are linux/win/mac only, but things have
been getting better on that front.

one great thing about BSD is there is lots of overlap between
architectures, so many things you'll learn on one cpu architecture will
map 1-to-1 to another.

-pete

--
Pete Wright