Date:      20 Apr 2000 15:41:10 -0400
From:      Arcady Genkin <a.genkin@utoronto.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Selectively enable/disable DMA for an ata driver

Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com> writes:

> Do a "man ata" and in the middle is a section on the sysctl options
> that you can use to set ad0 to PCI. You now have a /etc/sysctl.conf
> for saving options such as this one.

Kent, thanks a lot! This did it.

This makes me wonder, though... Since sysctl.conf is only read when
system goes multiuser, suppose somebody had a device that would hang
the system if accessed in DMA mode. sysctl solution would now work in
that case.

I still think that it would be nicer to have an option in kernel
config, so that the drive is accessed in the correct mode from the
very start.
--
Arcady Genkin                                 http://www.thpoon.com
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.