Date:      Wed, 17 Jul 2002 09:09:34 +0200
From:      "Carroll, D. (Danny)" <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
To:        <markd@cogeco.ca>, <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: ipfw and it's glory...

Here are a couple of simple things I noticed.  Check in-line...

:   allow ip from trusted-ip-addy-1 to any
:   allow ip from trusted-ip-addy-2 to any
:   allow log tcp from any to any established

This rule is redundant.  Rule 1 gets it.
:   allow log tcp from trusted-ip-addy-1 to any 22 in setup

If you want to be paranoid then you could make these only applicable to
the DNS servers of your ISP.
:   allow log udp from internal-addy to any 53
:   allow log udp from any 53 to internal-addy

Internal-addy.  Is that a RFC1918 addresses???  Or is it a real
(routable) internet address.  If it is routable then I would consider
using the alias "external addy" to save confusion.  If it is 1918 the I
assume this is a multi nic server and you probably need nat to do some
address translation.
:   allow log tcp from any to internal-addy 80,21,110,15 setup

:   -
:   65535 deny ip from any to any

Other than what you have I'd consider logging the deny, and adding
specific denies for address spoofing protection.

By that I mean disallow 192.168.x.x or 127.x.x.x et al traffic comming
IN from the OUTSIDE.  But then again, you do not seem to be specifically
allowing anything from the *inside* so it's not that important IMHO.
Simpler is often better.  Just consider it (spoofing) if you want to
start doing this.

Hope this helps..

-D
-----------------------------------------------------------------=0A=
ATTENTION:=0A=
The information in this electronic mail message is private and=0A=
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you=0A=
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that=0A=
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this=0A=
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by=0A=
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or=0A=
opening it.=0A=
=0A=
Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.=0A=
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the=0A=
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.=0A=
Always scan attachments before opening them.=0A=