Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:08:58 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where do you see FreeBSD in 10 years?

Andrew Reilly wrote:
> Hi Terry,
>
> Not many followups.  Did you get any direct responses?

I received a few direct responses; that's really not enough
to post a summary without direct quotes.  Mostly it's just
been the sound of crickets on the mailing list.

This was intended to be a basis for renewed architectural
discussion.  I guess I could restate it as one question, with
some initial premises:

Given that there are 259 committers; there are 10 years; 52
weeks per year, and an estimate of an average of 8 hours per
week per committer of total committer and non-committer
volunteer work is not unreasonable (committers outnumber
contributors by a large margin).

That gives a total of roughly 1,000,000 man hours of labor to
spend over the next ten years, even assuming no growth.  Or
roughly 20 human lifetimes of labor.

If you could wave a magic wand, spend 1,000,000 man hours of
labor on anything you wanted, as long as it had to do with
FreeBSD, what would FreeBSD look like after it was all done?

-- Terry