Date:      Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:26:40 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, schimken@cs.rpi.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFSv3 fixes...

Sorry about that everyone, I 'repl'ied to the wrong message.

>     Ack, you may have opened up a can of worms here.  I don't even think
>     that nfs_namei() does the right thing when it returns an error... it
>     doesn't look like it clears the ndp->ni_vp either in some error cases.
Who, me?  Open a can of worms?  ;)

>     We are going to have to instrument the code - basically means NULLing
>     out ni_vp and any local vnode pointer when the vnode in question is
>     released so we can keep track of it and putting KASSERT()s in strategic
>     places.  nfs_namei() in nfs/nfs_subs.c and just about all the subroutines
>     defined in nfs/nfs_serv.c.

That was along the lines of my thoughts too... it became painfully obvious
that this sort of bug could be (and probably is) everywhere in the nfs
server code.  I will be happy to follow your lead on this (honored one
may say).  I am hoping to have some time to deal with this tonight, but I did
just get my CD-RW drive.  We should probably take the time to document the
code some more while we are at it... simple things like commenting what
braces go to what would have greatly eased my trace through the code :)

--
David Cross
The source will be with you, always.