Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 20:51:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   XFree86 use of libgnumalloc

I've had to rebuild all my ports, because of a recent disk crash, and
while I was rebuilding Xmaddressbook (a X11/Motif app) I noticed that it
failed, because it couldn't link libgnumalloc.  I haven't had libgnumalloc
around it a long time, and haven't wanted it, but I couldn't understand
why suddenly a port should want it.

I grepped around the sources of Xmaddressbook, but it seemed that the
callout for libgnumalloc came out of my own X11 config files in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config.  I have the newest XFree86 distribution, so I
began looking around in there for what was calling out libgnumalloc.

I found it in Imake.tmpl, line 226, where it defined the value:

#ifndef GnuMallocLibrary
#define GnuMallocLibrary -lgmalloc

So when the MallocLibraries were called out, libgnumalloc got included.  I
don't like to mess with the standard X11 config libraries, so having the
standard (and normally empty) host.def, I entered into it the single line:

#define GnuMallocLibrary /**/

That fixed Xmaddressbook.  If I was sure this was a real X11 bug for
XFree86 3.3.1, I'd forward them a FreeBSD-fix; could someone verify this
for me (try building something X11-ish that needs the malloc libraries,
maybe Xmaddressbook, if you have Motif).  I'd appreciate confirmation.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |