Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 20:44:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATM WAN interface

Fletcher E Kittredge recently said:

> The point would be that with IP over ATM, you pay for 155mb/sec,
> and you really get about 110mb/sec. Pick any speed, you still only
> get 70% of the listed bandwidth. So if you buy a ~1.5mb/sec T1,
> you are only going to get a megabit after paying the cell tax, and
> packet shredding.

> Like X.25, ATM is a dead technlogy pushed only by the phone
> companies.

For a dead technology it's surely getting a lot of attention for
video over ip. I saw some pretty amazing ATM switching dedicated to
high speed real-time digital video broadcast at Interop. Destination
was indentical to the source DVDs.

The companies I spoke to believed that ATM was the best for that.
Good decode boards are under $10K and encoders are under $20K in
other instances.

These definately weren't phone companies pushing it.