Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 12:41:56 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to detect different kernel code (select or poll)

Terry Lambert scribbled this message on Oct 6:
> > > what is the best way to conditionally compile code depending if select
> > > or poll is in the kernel?
> > >
> > > the problem is that Luigi does he coding on a 2.2.x box.. and my test
> > > machine is a -current box...  what is the best way to get both select
> > > and poll code into his sound code?
> >
> > I want to clarify that it's not a problem only the two of us are
> > having... basically all kernel extensions which do not find their place in
> > the official source distributions need to distinguish between the
> > various branches, be them 2.1, 2.2.X 3.0 ...
>
> IMO, the best way is for the code to become part of the official source
> distributions.
>
> But, I agree that there are some cases where this isn't possible; namely
> commercial code that would prefer not to donate code, even though they
> know that, if they did, it would relieve them of the maintenance burden
> for things like this (there are a *lot* of things like this).

Terry, what does this message have to deal with a solution to the problem
that we posted??  all it does is restate what we are trying to do...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD