Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 17:07:43 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Adam Serediuk <vipw@home.com>, Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WinTV's HDTV cousin

Kevin Day:
 |Adam Serediuk:
 |>
 |> Digital Cable is out where I live FYI.... and I have used FXTV with it. The
 |> DCT's(Digital Cable Terminal) I own have both a standard cable out(piped to
 |> chan 3) and rca out jacks for video and left/right audio. Naturally the
 |> RCA's give a much better soundquality and picture to boot.
 |>

 |Digital Cable is different from Digital TV. The TCI/AT&T DCT I have does
 |mpeg compressed NTSC over a digital coax link. Digital TV (of which, HDTV is
 |one standard) isn't NTSC at all. Slashdot has an interesting story today
 |about HDTV v.s. NTSC, etc...

Thanks for the pointer.  This has some good info.  In particular, a few of
the slashdot article responders discuss something a friend of mine was
telling me: that an encoding that some of the HDTV broadcast stations are
using (and doubtless the HDTV cable folks are considering), is just
digitizing, compressing, and jam-packing 4-6 regular NTSC signals into the
6MHz chunk previously allocated to one signal (or just transmit one
NTSC-encoded channel, and use the other 75-83% of the bandwidth for "other
services").  Pure profit, if they can convince anyone to buy a digital TV
for that...

An article one slashdot poster mentioned also discusses this and is a good
browse (it's looong):

   http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/5.02/netizen.html?pg=3&topic=
      The Great HDTV Swindle

The section on the CICATS standard is pretty funny.

Randall