Date:      Tue, 05 Dec 2000 23:04:28 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Christopher Yeoh <cyeoh@linuxcare.com.au>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Wesley Morgan <morganw@chemicals.tacorp.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ray committed

In message <14893.53324.616401.949125@rockhopper.linuxcare.com.au> Christopher Yeoh writes:
: As far as range goes, for our situation the aviators worked better
: than even wavelans with small antennas (yes this surprised us!).  The
: situation is fairly unusual though. We're on different floors and the
: floor is made of reinforced concrete). Definitely no signal through
: the floor (eg being directly above doesn't work). However, the way the
: appartments are arranged there appears to be a path through a couple
: of appartments, outside and then into his side window, that the
: aviators can get a decent signal along.

OK.  I have two floors of my house.  It is mostly wood based with the
usual duct work and such.  I was down stairs and the "base" was
upstairs.  I'd notice that sometimes things would just work, but that
heavy load doesn't work too well (eg a simple FTP or scp would swamp
the link).  With the ZoomAir + Orinoco card (both with their default
tiny anntennas) I can still get good interactive performance and 1.5mbps
of ftp transfers.  I see only slightly worse interactive performance
during the ftp than when it isn't running.  With the aviator, the ftp
would just about shut down the link.  Then after a while things would
get worse and worse.  I could then take the laptop with the aviator
upstairs to 1' of the base station (which is just an intel box with an
aviator card) and get 0 throughput (which sounds like a driver
problem).  The really strange part is that I can reboot both machines
and still get horrible to zero throughput.  This points to "enemy
action" of some sort.

I also have a wireless link with the older pre802.11 wavelan cards at
2.4GHz to a friends house.  Maybe that is impacting things.  It
doesn't impact the 802.11b cards that I use.  We've also noticed
mysterious outages with the radio link for reasons that we still don't
understand.  We've theorized that it may be due to other users in the
2.4GHz band, which is also causing problems for the aviators.  Or that
could just be a red herring.

I have also tried turning off the wireless link above and things
didn't get better.

Warner