Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 15:48:32 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-connect.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP & P6DNH - Still the same (problem)

Hi,

> SMP kernel as of last night, still gives me the same exact problem:
>
> It boot normally and then, instead of starting init, it goes into
> default_halt().
>
> I only found reference to default_halt in i386/i386/dwtch.s.
> Could not find any calls made to it, except, indirectly from idle_loop (in
> the same file).
>
> I do not exactly understand (last assembly code I saw was PDP-11, sorry)
> what idle loop does, but it appears as if vm_page_zero_idle returns 0,
> and this is why we halt.  This can only happen (?) (in vm_machdep.c) if
> WRONG is defined, or the nimbr of non-zeroed free pages is smaller than
> half the number of reserved pages.

what idle_loop does:

check each queue for a process to run
see if there are any vm pages that can be zeroed while waiting for a proc.
If a page was zeroed repeat the loop.
else no pages left to zero, go into a halt until an INT wakes us up.

Since you get to ddb from the keyboard, kb INTs are being seen,
it sounds like your not getting timer INTerrupts. mail me both your config
file and i386/include/smptests.h file.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by