Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:42:49 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Joshua Coombs <jcoombs@gwi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Umax C600 (6400)

> Welp, figured for giggles I'd try to get my Umax C600 to run
> FreeBSD.  Looks like I can't use any of the normal boot media,
> ethernet isn't onboard, OF doesn't have a driver.  CD, no go in OF.
> HD, best I can do is a FAT partition on IDE, but I have yet to get a
> loader to fire up cleanly off it (Open, Net, or Free).  NetBSD's
> boot floppies do work, but I see no analog yet in the PPC port.  Is
> there a method of making boot floppies yet for the FreeBSD PPC port?

  From looking at the NetBSD model page, the C600 runs v2 of
OpenFirmware, which doesn't work with the FreeBSD loader.

It's actually a bit of work: an ELF->XCOFF converter needs to
be written, and some OpenFirmware calls that don't work on 2 need
to be sidestepped.

I do have an old beige G3 that I might try and get working one day.
It even has a floppy drive :-)

later,

Peter.