Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 07:53:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        data@dreamhaven.net (Bryce Newall)
Cc:        jerichow@commons.aim-smart.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: triple boot system

In a previous message, Bryce Newall said:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, jericho wrote:
>
> > it- Do I need to add a new partition to install free bsd or can it reside in
> > a folder on any of these partitions?
>
> FreeBSD will need its own partition.. or preferably, partitions.  Usually
> it's a good idea to have certain directories, like /var or /usr, on
> partitions other than the root partition.  Doesn't have to be on a
> separate drive (although having /usr on a separate drive will boost
> performance a bit).

Ok, this is confusing BIOS partitions (that freebsd calls slices) with BSD
partitions.

FreeBSD needs 1 BIOS partition.

> > 2. Will freebsd partition whatever partition I install it to with FFS?
>
> I don't know what FFS is, but yes, FreeBSD will create a partition.  Note
> though, that like fdisk, FreeBSD's fdisk will wipe out any existing
> partitions. (See below.)

Yes, FreeBSD uses the Fast File System.

> > 3. What modifications do I need to make to NTLOADR for freebsd to be a boot
> > option along with win98 and nt?
>
> As far as I know, none, but then again I've never installed FreeBSD in
> conjunction with NT.  I have FreeBSD running on a separate machine.  I do
> have NT Workstation coexisting on the same hard drive as Linux, though,
> and Linux's loader loads into the master boot record of the drive, where
> NT's boot loader loads into the boot sector of its partition.  Thus, LILO
> (the Linux Loader) kicks in first and gives me the choice of booting into
> Linux or into "DOS".  If I pick "DOS", then the NT loader comes up and
> lets me go into NT Workstation, or NT Workstation in VGA mode.

his is in the FAQ section 8.7 (http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ121.html#121).
I did it successfully a couple years ago. It's not hard, just follow the
instructions.

--
"But don't push it. If you're working late some evening and you're getting
 tired and starting to make mistakes, don't push it. Go home. You can