Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 16:35:34 +0100
From:      NOC-GFX <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "Pavel V. Antipov" <pavel@ikar.elect.ru>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: About using ICQ

On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Pavel V. Antipov wrote:

> Server's operation system is FreeBSD 2.2.5.
> My local network has addresses specified in RFC1918.
> This network have connection with Internet (HTTP,FTP protocols)
> via proxy-server.
>
> 1. How can I provide using ICQ for network users ?

ICQ runs on UDP.  If you open up your UDP though, you leave your
network wide open.  What we have done here is set up an ICQ proxy:
1 lone machine which is allowed to receive ICQ (UDP) packets
unconditionally, and which then sends out appropriately screened
packets to a (very small) list of hosts which are specifically listed
as allowed to read them.  This was a LOT of work: stripping the
proxy host down file by file took almost a month, and to tell you the
truth, I am still nervous about it.  ICQ is a nightmare of security risks,
and should probably just be abandoned altogether.

HTH,
J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org