Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 04:04:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        dima@zwb.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, djv@bedford.net
Subject:   Re: renaming of usernames and homedirectories

In localhost.freebsd.questions you write:

>much different interface.  The master.passwd file format is the same as
>AT7T UNIX Version 1, so I can login as root to any UNIX system, and be
>familiar with the file.  Using vipw, which I haven't heard of until today,
>it would probably be alot different from System V, OpenBSD, Solaris, ...

Running vipw is basically the same as running (in csh)

	umask 022
	cp /etc/master.passwd /etc/magic-temporary-name
	$EDITOR /etc/magic-temporary-name
	pwd_mkdb /etc/magic-temporary-name

So, I don't think that it would look different to you.  You edit the
same way (and if you don't like vi, just change $EDITOR and use jed or
emacs) , but you don't have to run pwd_mkdb, and those irritating
races are all locked out, and if you abort, it doesn't run pwd_mkdb.

Really, vipw is a good thing.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/