Date:      Sat, 18 Jul 2020 08:41:51 -0700
From:      Don Wilde <dwilde1@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFD: proposed new (likely virtual) category, education

On 7/18/20 5:21 AM, Pau Amma wrote:
> On 2020-07-18 06:22, Dewayne Geraghty wrote:
>> On 18/07/2020 1:09 pm, Pau Amma wrote:
>>> This category would comprise ports that are mainly educational in
>>> nature
>>> or purpose, such as:
>>> - course-writing or course-delivery applications,
>>> - classroom or school management applications (eg, scheduling classes),
>>> - applications, utilities, or games primarily or substantially designed
>>> to help the user learn a specific topic or study in general, like
>>> typing
>>> tutors, flashcard applications, or educational games.
>>
>> Great idea Pau!
>>
>> You might like to add www/sakai though its quite dated (ports is 10.2;
>> current version 20.1)
>
> Indeed. Not sure how I missed it, thanks. I'll wait a few more days
> before filing a PR, in case I missed something else or there's an
> objection.

I, too, love the idea. I would suggest that a sub-category of "suggested
learning path" programs might be an asset as well, including useful
languages to examine. We might also consider resurrecting Knuth's
code+language concepts and tools.

Assuming this category is accepted, I would then suggest an announcement
post to the FreeBSD-advocacy@ and FreeBSD-women@ lists, and perhaps
notification to the KDE and EduBuntu core lists. :D

Don Wilde
* What is the Internet of Things but a system      *
* of systems including humans?                     *