Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 11:00:18 -0600
From:      Bob Radvanovsky <i3cs@wwa.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Setting up an SMTP Gateway

I have contacted the gent who wrote "fetchmail" and asked him to confirm if
I am doing anything wrong.  Here's my dillema...

I have purchased an account for SMTP mail transfers with my local ISP.  The
domain for the local ISP is "wwa.com", with the mail relay as
"mail.wwa.com".  I have setup a PPP connection (which does work...quite
nicely) as a dynamic IP address.  The IP address is defined by the local
ISP.  The local ISP is using "bind" (8.1.1" and "smail" (latest version as
well).  They are not using "sendmail" at all.

I have an account called "i3csgate".  This account is a funnel (if you
will) for all mail for my local domain "i3cs.com".  The "i3cs.com" domain
is a sub-domain of "wwa.com", but for mail only.  That is, all mail
directed to a target user (say "rsradvan@i3cs.com" or
"infosupport@i3cs.com") is sent and stored (similar to the UUCP
store-n-forward method) under the "i3csgate" account.

At specific times of the day (usually every hour), my local system polls
the "mail.wwa.com" mail relay.  I've been testing if this has worked by
having a ".fetchmailrc" configuration file defined under "/" as a "root"
thing.  It is should below:

=== /.fetchmailrc ===

poll mail.wwa.com proto pop3:
    no envelope no dns
    localdomains i3cs.com
    user i3csgate is * here
    smtphost i3cs.com
    smtpaddress mail.wwa.com
    fetchmail password blowme

=== EOF: /.fetchmailrc ===

I have recently acquired the latest version of "sendmail" (8.8.8) and
"bind" (8.1.3?) and have configured them on my system.  Additionally, I
have acquired the "m4" macro compiler to generate the "sendmail.cf" file.
I've reviewed your webpage on setting up "sendmail.cf" and have entered (as
a macro) the following ".mc" file under "./cf/cf/i3cs.mc":

=== ./i3cs.mc ===

include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`i3cs.mc version 1.0')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
FEATURE(nouucp)dnl
MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl
Cwlocalhost
Cwi3cs.com
Cwmail.wwa.com
MASQUERADE_AS(`i3cs.com')dnl
FEATURE(allmasquerade)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
FEATURE(nodns)dnl
define(SMART_HOST, `mail.wwa.com')
DmmyISP.com
define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`wwa.com')dnl
define(`confDELIVERY_MODE',`deferred')dnl

=== EOF: ./i3cs.mc ===

I have tried different methods to retrieve the mail.  The local ISP
recommends using the command "finger i3cs.com@mail.wwa.com" to get the
mail.  I've used that as well as "fetchmail --verbose --all --flush".  I
haven't setup the "fetchmail" to run as a background daemon because I
haven't been entirely successful with establishing a clearly defined and
consistent mail transfer.

Do you (or anyone that you know of) has any idea what I may be doing wrong?
 I'm certain that it's one (or two) minor thing(s) that I'm overlooking.

Please help!

Thank you.

-r