Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 10:04:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ceren Ercen <ceren@magnesium.net>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSSCA?

Rahul said:
> > Because it would miss many of the RIAA's targets. Remember, they want
> > to outlaw portable MP3 players such as the Rio, as well as CD copiers
> > such as the Philips model that lets you create "mix" CDs.
>
> That's what they say.  The only thing they're really after is music
> swapping over the internet.  As of now, you need a computer to do
> that; perhaps they'll say "internet-enabled device" or something
> like that instead of "computer" in their watered-down SSSCA.

No, they really are after devices like the Rio.  Granted, they would
*love* to kill music swapping from the PC level, but they probably are
getting the idea that no matter how many laws are put in place, this will
always be impossible for one reason or another.

However, if you put a steel vise on any commercial products (which can be
blocked legally), it's fairly effective, at least when dealing with 99% of
the population.

The RIAA expects to get money out of *everything*. You know that japanese
dancing machine game, Dance Dance Revolution? Where there are arrows on
the screen, and you stomp on the machine in accordance with them? Those
things cost as much as a mid-range *car*, simply because of the insane
licensing fees the RIAA imposes on every song played in that game, since
they use some actual club music.

Here, RIAA, here's my leash and choke chain.

- Ceren