Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 18:52:09 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.com>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape mail again

Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.com> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > What I'd like to know is where it gets the "earthlink.net" domain name
> > from.
> I guess I didn't do a very good job of explaining this.  Right this minute I am in a
> hotel room connected to the internet through ISP (earthlink.net).  My laptop username
> is (jim),  however (jim) is not my Earthlink login.  What happens is, Netscape picks
> up my machine username and attaches it to the domain name of my outgoing SMTP server.
> This results in jim@earthlink.net.  Not Correct!!

No, you did a great job. I understand exactly what's going on. Did you
configure the domain name to be earthlink.net, or did it come from
somewhere else?

> Suppose my Earthlink login name is (fuzzyduck).   The way I look at it, the Sender:
> field should be fuzzyduck@earthlink.net.  As I said, this would solve the problem
> since fuzzyduck@earthlink.net would be a valid email address.

Right. That's why I suggested tweaking the netscape script to set USER
or LOGNAME to your earhtlink login name, to see if Netscape will use
that for Sender.

	<mike