Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:14:31 +0200
From:      des@des.no (=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        "R. W." <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Encrypted CD/DVDs via gbde or otherwise

"R. W." <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com> writes:
> I have some data in an encrypted gbde partition. I'd like to be able to=20
> move some of it out to CD-R or DVD in an encrypted, mountable form (as=20
> opposed to simply encrypting a tar file and burning that).
>
> Most other encryption schemes support this through container files. You=20
> create a 650MB container, mount/attach it, copy the data,=20
> unmount/detach the container, and burn it to CD as a single file on a=20
> data disk.
>
> AFAIK gbde doesn't support container files. Is it on the roadmap? Or is=20
> there any alternative.

(untested)

# dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3Dcontainer bs=3D1048576 count=3D650
# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f container
# gbde init /dev/md0
# gbde attach /dev/md0
# newfs /dev/md0.bde
# mount /dev/md0.bde /mnt
# <copy files to /mnt>
# umount /mnt
# gbde detach /dev/md0
# mdconfig -d -u 0
# burncd data container fixate

you should then be able to 'gbde attach /dev/acd0' and mount
/dev/acd0.bde wherever you like.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no