Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:55:53 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Purrcat' <purrcat@edoropolis.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: netstat, hanging connections and forked daemons..

	[ML]  there is also tcp keepalive sysctl which can be forcibly
turned on.  On newer releases you can even fiddle with the keepalive
timeout.

> Does this mean that when, for example, netstat sais 10 http
> connections
> are CLOSING (in a hanging state), 10 http daemons are wasted as
> well??!
	[ML]  It would seem so, if you're using Apache.  IIRC, Apache
uses a httpd child per socket, but I've RTFS some years ago, so it could
have changed in the meantime.  Try forcing the keepalives, and the
kernel will find out that the win clients are no longer there even
though they did not send the FIN_ACK (sonsabitches).  It will then close
the sockets.

	/Marino