Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:48:50 +0100
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: http://users.uk.freebsd.org/~juha/

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 09:11:31AM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:

> A hacker looks, but does not touch; hacking is a result
> of a curious nature.

Agreed, hackers have ethics. Look but don't touch. But I think there are
two sides of the 'force'. IMHO, in a computer world, both Yoda and Darth
Vader would be hackers, the fact the Vader was seduced by the dark side
doesn't mean he is less knowledgeable on the subject. Both can get into
a computer system, Yoda won't touch anything, Vader would.

> Any true hacker has a Bushido-style sense of honor.  A
> hacker is a Samurai.

Heh, is that a hidden reference to Shimomura? :-P

> Ken Thompson is a hacker.  Dennis Ritchie is a hacker.
> Kirk McKusick is a hacker.

Agreed, so is Morris, of the Internet Worm fame. Did he cause damage?
Yes, but coded that worm, so he is a hacker.

What counts for me is wether you learned or you just grabbed a
script/exploit. Of course, if someone just comes and writes: "h3y, 1 am @
1337 H@X0R", the moron-o-meter raises dramatically :-P

IMHO there should be no such distinction, a hacker is a hacker and what
most people refer to as cracker is just some idiot with too much spare
time and a bunch of scripts he just downloaded from rootshell.com and
whathaveyou. So instead of reading "www.ebay.com under moron attack" we
read hacker/cracker instead on newspapers, too bad.

> The "freebsd-hackers" mailing list was named correctly,

Of course it is, I never said otherwise.

Or the good old http://hot:warez@goatse.cx, yes :-)

> And no, we aren't going to change the FreeBSD mascot to
> something other than the BSD Daemon, thanks.

LMAO

> And yes, we have all your personal information on file,
> we just aren't going to do anything with it.  8-).

Well, online privacy doesn't really exist, does it? :)

Cheers,
--=20
        Miguel Mendez - flynn@energyhq.homeip.net
        GPG Public Key :: http://energyhq.homeip.net/files/pubkey.txt