Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2006 20:10:02 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        admin@cordef.net.pl
Cc:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 29160 + Fujitsu MAS3367NC - cannot force U160

> Well, I don't think devices are forced to SE, at lest not because of
> jumper setting. I checked - on IBM drive this jumper is opened and
> Fujitsu doesn't have one at all. The only one source of problems I can
> see is adapter. It has the DIFFSNS signal left not connected.
> Theoretically it means device is set to differential. But what if
> controller forces it to low? Tomorrow I'll try to connect it to the +5V
> and see what will happen.

I wouldn't force the state of that line without better understanding
what's going on here.

> Justin, let me ask you one more question: I wonder where is the setting
> "GOAL" taken from? I understand that "USER" is a maximum possible
> transfer for the interface and  "CURR" is maximum possible transfer for
> the device (calculated at DV stage). Is this setting connected with
> state of bus - i.e. if bus is SE then GOAL is forced to be 40.0 instead
> of 160.0? Or it is set somewhere in device EEPROM?

USER = settings in the eeprom or set via /proc
GOAL = device/bus limited version of USER (see ahc_devlimited_syncrate())
CURR = Active negotiated state (both the controller and the end device
       believe this is the current transfer agreement)

--
Justin