Date:      Wed, 23 May 2012 17:07:02 -0300
From:      "Nenhum_de_Nos" <matheus@eternamente.info>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: siis_timeout with port multiplier on 9.0R

On Wed, May 23, 2012 12:54, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> The errors are on different siisch devices so its not likely to be a SATA cable issue unless
>>> multiple cables all went bad at the same time.  On the advice of some other posts to the
>>> mailing
>>> list I've already tried locking the SATA rev to one with the following in /boot/loader.conf
>>> which didn't
>>
>> If they are on different siisch devices then yes, it does not sound like
>> a bad cable. However, I have had that issue with similar errors above
>> that were fixed by using new cables.  If you are using 9.0R, I would
>> suggest upgrading to stable. There have been a few bug fixes /
>> improvements to the drivers as well as various parts of the disk
>> subsystem. I have RELENG8 right now and its quite stable for me on a
>> 25TB system which is for the most part similar to 9.x
>>
>> # zpool status
>>   pool: zbackup1
>>  state: ONLINE
>>   scan: scrub repaired 0 in 11h11m with 0 errors on Mon Jul 25 19:51:11 2011
>> config:
>>
>>         NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>>         zbackup1    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>           raidz1-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada14   ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada16   ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada13   ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada15   ONLINE       0     0     0
>>           raidz1-1  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada0    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada1    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada2    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada3    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>           raidz1-2  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada4    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada5    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada6    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada7    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>           raidz1-3  ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada9    ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada10   ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada11   ONLINE       0     0     0
>>             ada12   ONLINE       0     0     0
>>
>> errors: No known data errors
>> # zpool get all zbackup1
>> NAME      PROPERTY       VALUE       SOURCE
>> zbackup1  size           25.4T       -
>> zbackup1  capacity       68%         -
>> zbackup1  altroot        -           default
>> zbackup1  health         ONLINE      -
>> zbackup1  guid           917659042733882722  default
>> zbackup1  version        28          default
>> zbackup1  bootfs         -           default
>> zbackup1  delegation     on          default
>> zbackup1  autoreplace    off         default
>> zbackup1  cachefile      -           default
>> zbackup1  failmode       wait        default
>> zbackup1  listsnapshots  on          local
>> zbackup1  autoexpand     off         default
>> zbackup1  dedupditto     0           default
>> zbackup1  dedupratio     1.00x       -
>> zbackup1  free           7.95T       -
>> zbackup1  allocated      17.4T       -
>> zbackup1  readonly       off         -
>> zbackup1  comment        -           default
>>
>> This is on an adonics adaptor.
>
> my adapter is this adonics as well, and my lucky is not the same. the host card is also sis3124

Mike,

I saw FreeBSD webcvs info on siis.c. The only change in 9-STABLE is this:

Revision 1.43.2.2: download - view: text, markup, annotated - select for diffs
Sat Dec 31 15:31:34 2011 UTC (4 months, 3 weeks ago) by hselasky
Branches: RELENG_9
Diff to: previous 1.43.2.1: preferred, colored; branchpoint 1.43: preferred, colored; next MAIN
1.44: preferred, colored
Changes since revision 1.43.2.1: +2 -7 lines

SVN rev 229118 on 2011-12-31 15:31:34Z by hselasky

MFC r227701, r227847 and r227849:
Move the device_delete_all_children() function from usb_util.c
to kern/subr_bus.c. Simplify this function so that it no longer
depends on malloc() to execute. Rename device_delete_all_children()
into device_delete_children(). Identify a few other places where
it makes sense to use device_delete_children().

all others, 9.0R has it. As i don't know this stuff, I can't tell how much it would affect my
issue (and the other Matheus/Matthew as well), but I imagine not much as it says something usb on
it :)

as I'm not at home, will try the cabling thing when I get home.

thanks,

matheus

>> 	---Mike
>>>
>>> hint.siisch.0.sata_rev=1