Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:05:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Cannon <tcannon@noops.org>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?q?adrian=20kok?= <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk>, <edwin@mavetju.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mrtg

> On the FreeBSD machine, you need to tell syslogd to open a listening
> socket at 514/udp as well as actually accept remote messages.  To do this,
> add the following to /etc/rc.conf:
>
> syslogd_flags=""

While this will work as advertized, it does also allow other people to log
to your machine. Potential problems are a) people can fill your hard drive
for laughs and b)if syslogd has a security problem, you've now got one,
too.

Man syslogd explains how to use the -a flag for an 'allowed peer' which
I'd encourage using.

I tend to be a little paranoid, but it hasn't hurt me yet.

Thomas