Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 20:36:03 -0800
From:      "Gary Schenk" <gwschenk@socal.rr.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: newbie mail help

----- Original Message -----
From: "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To: "Gary Schenk" <gwschenk@socal.rr.com>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 4:53 AM

First, thanks to Mike, Giorgos, Scott and others for trying to help.

<keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>,
>     To:,
>     Cc:,
>     Bcc:,
>     Attchmnt:,

Did that. When I send test mail Pine still gives the wrong return address.

> The allow-changing-from feature allows editing of the From: header for
> all outgoing messages when enabled, and the default-composer-hdrs sets
> some of the headers for your outgoing messages to reasonable defaults.

<snip>

> > How do I know I have a port 25?
> > How do I know it is listening at port 25?
>
> Use sockstat(1).
>
> $ sockstat -l4 | grep :25
> root     sendmail   445   4  tcp4   *:25                  *:*

Yes, sendamil is listening on port 25.

<snip>

Mike has suggested that Pine does not need fetchmail. That makes sense. In
the Pine man pages it says c-client is used to access mail severs. I cannot
find help for c-client. Nor do I find a place to tell Pine about my ISP's
pop3 server. In chapter 25 of FreeBSD Unleashed it states that fetchmail is
needed for mutt and Pine.

I chose to install Pine because I believed it to be a beginner's program. I
tried to setup Balsa, and no matter what I place in the settings preferences
I can't get it to work either. It seems a simple problem. I have mail on my
ISP's pop3 server. I want to retrieve it and  read it. "Get this there and
bring it here". It seems simple, but how do I tell FreeBSD to do this?

This is incredibly frustrating. Not just for me, I've gotten email from
another beginner who can't get his mail to work either. Perhaps this is a
question for the documentation project?

Gary