Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2004 11:02:40 -0500
From:      Chris Knight <cknight@ghostwheel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LSI MegaRaid ATA 133-2 install question

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:

> Chris Knight <cknight@ghostwheel.com> writes:
>
>>   Is the LSI MegaRaid ATA 133-2 a hardware raid controller, or is it
>>all in the included drivers and the BIOS util is only for saving a
>>config to the drives?
>

> The latter, most likely.  Otherwise, FreeBSD wouldn't see the
> individual drives, the RAID controller would show up as a SCSI
> controller and the array would show up as da[0-9]+.

As a test last night, I re-initialized the raid, and I booted off of a
DOS boot disk.  Fdisk saw only one drive.  I created a small partition,
formatted it, and booted off of it.

I then booted the FreeBSD 4.9 install CD.  FreeBSD again saw the system
as two distinct drives, but they had exactly the same partition system.

It appears that the LSI MegaRaid ATA 133-2 works as a RAID controller
under DOS, and that FreeBSD bypasses the RAID component and talks to the
drives directly.  Bugger.

-Chris