Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 08:26:26 -0700
From:      John-David Childs <jdc@nterprise.net>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Selective make world (WAS Re: perl on 2.2.5)

On Friday November 14, 1997, Studded <Studded@dal.net>
 had this to say about "Re: perl on 2.2.5":

> On Fri, 14 Nov 1997 16:50:32 -0700, John-David Childs wrote:
>
> >I've actually been deleteing perl from /usr/bin and /usr/share/perl
> >since 2.1.7 and installing the latest version(s) of perl in /usr/local.
> >
> >There are a few system scripts that look for perl in /usr/bin, but a
> >symlink to /usr/local/bin/perl has worked flawlessly for me so far (knock
> >on  silicon ;-)
>
> 	Yeah, I've done the same things, without problems.  In fact, last
> night I stumbled on a way to prevent the old one from building during a
> make world, if anyone would care to comment. :)  I went into
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin and edited the Makefile, deleting the perl
> subdirectory.  Has anyone else used this technique?  I could same myself
> some make world time by not building things I'm not going to need.

AFAIK, this isn't a problem.  I've actually been thinking about a way to
make a configuration file in /usr/src which would tell make which files to
compile (i.e. even more fine-tuning than just compiling the "bin",
"compat", "gnu", etc. sources).  There are a ton of programs in the
distribution which I've never used in over two years, so not compiling
them would be a bonus for my 89% filled hard disks :)  However, my problem
is that some of those programs that I don't think are necessary may in
fact be used by others that are essential.  I haven't had time to even
fully flesh out a mechanism for setting up a config file/dependency list
for such a project.

--
John-David Childs (JC612)       Enterprise Internet Solutions
System Administrator            @denver.net/Internet-Coach/@ronan.net