Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 09:43:58 -0500
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, rsnow@legend.txdirect.net
Subject:   Re: Swapinfo again (never decreases)

you say :
Step1:	swapinfo says 0% used
Step2:	start X (or any big program)
Step3:	exit X (or the above mentioned large progra)
Step4:  swapinfo says 19% used

at step2, your RAM is all being used, so some pages are forced to backstore.
these pages will stay on backstore until the application for these pages is
terminated.

A while back I proposed and implemented removing the backstore pages when they
were paged back back into RAM. those were the days when *BSD was hanging all
the time due to swap depletion. I figure (still do) that things that were paged
to backstore may not be the same pages forced back when RAM is depleted again,
and we would be prematurely filling the swap and back then my counters
determined that it was very seldon occurance that a read backstored page was
ever put back into backstore without modifying the page.

This idea of removing the backstore page when read from swap never sailed with
the VM crew, especially when the VM storing and fetching was improved for
FreeBSD. They wanted to keep these pages in swap as a cache. I guess I never
fully understood that (not to say they are wrong, I just never heard the
reasoning).

--mark.