Date:      Thu, 22 Oct 1998 15:37:06 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        Burkard Meyendriesch <bm@malepartus.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ECC memory support

> On Oct 22, 11:57pm, Burkard Meyendriesch wrote:
> } Subject: Re: ECC memory support
>
> } But my original questions are still pending: Isn't there any possibility
> } to detect 1-bit errors even if they are detected and corrected by my
> } ECC electronics? Isn't there any register of the 82430HX chip set which
> } can be examined after an memory error NMI?
>
> Yes there is.  It's documented in the chipset datasheet that you can
> download from Intel's web site.  Also your BIOS should have a setting
> to configure whether a 1-bit error causes an NMI.
>
> The last time this subject came up, some folks wanted to use the BIOS
> (which should understand the chipset on that motherboard) to retrieve
> this information rather than build knowledge of specific chipsets into
> the kernel.

That would be the "nice" way to do it.  I haven't made much progress
pursuing things related to DMI lately, and it does look as though the
way Microsoft want to do it you need to have motherboard-specific
drivers installed.  Some systems will preserve it in the BIOS event
log, which theoretically can be retrieved - there's no guarantee that
you will be able to arrange a trap on soft ECC, so you may have to live
with this sort of deferred notification.

There may also be some hope via ACPI, but more on that in a separate
message.

> On an unrelated thread, someone mentioned that there were some unresolved
> issues with rearming NMI.

Steve Passe (fsmp@freebsd.org).  I don't recall if he was going to pass
his code/comments back or not.