Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 1996 22:21:49 -0800
From:      Erich Boleyn <erich@uruk.org>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Cc:        haertel@ichips.intel.com, wscott@ichips.intel.com
Subject:   I think we have the culprit!!  (was -> Re: Eureka (maybe...) (was -> Re: P6 problem idea ) )

Erich Boleyn <erich@uruk.org> writes:

> I tried shutting off the page global stuff, and while I don't have
> a difinitively long run yet, it has run through 3 full kernel compiles
> with no crash yet.  I'll run it for the next 1 1/2 hours and see if
> it lives through that.  If so, I think we have our main culprit (I'll
> also post the (small) code change which synchronizes the CPUs on TLB
> shootdown before letting the sender continue).

Well, after 2 hours of kernel builds, and now a few sets of 4 parallel
kernel builds later, the system is still running great.

I think we have our culprit...  the Page Global stuff (plus adding the
TLB shootdown synchronization may be helping a little with stability, but
it's absence doesn't appear to be the major cause).

> All that said, I'm very surprised that this *isn't* also a serious
> problem on the Pentium (the Pentium has the Page Global stuff as
> well...  I didn't look to see if it is used for the Pentium as well
> as the Pentium Pro).

I might be confused here, but as mentioned in the above comment, I
thought this was implemented in the Pentium as well.  Can someone
who remembers better (or has the "Appendix H" equivalent released
documentation) comment?

--
  Erich Stefan Boleyn                 \_ E-mail (preferred):  <erich@uruk.org>
Mad Genius wanna-be, CyberMuffin        \__      (finger me for other stats)