Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2023 22:21:45 +0200
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        NSD <nsd@nantahala.systems>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reorganizing FreeBSD Ports Directory Structure for Non-X Window Managers and Wayland Support

NSD <nsd@nantahala.systems> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> FreeBSD could benefit from reorganizing its directory structure to
> accommodate non-X Window managers more effectively. Currently, these
> managers are all placed under the "x11" directories, which may not
> accurately represent their nature.

- Porter's Handbook recommends against[1] adding new physical categories
- Some Wayland compositors are also X11 window managers: plasma5-kwin,
  kwinft, mutter and, probably, enlightment

[1] https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/porters-handbook/makefiles/#proposing=
-categories

> A more intuitive approach could be to introduce a new "display" directory=
 that encompasses various display managers. Here's a proposed reorganizatio=
n:

> display/
>   =E2=94=9C=E2=94=80 x11/
>   =E2=94=82   =E2=94=94=E2=94=80...
>   =E2=94=82
>   =E2=94=9C=E2=94=80 wayland/
>   =E2=94=82   =E2=94=9C=E2=94=80 wayland-wm/
>   =E2=94=82   =E2=94=94=E2=94=80 ...
>   =E2=94=82
>   =E2=94=94=E2=94=80 arcan/
>       =E2=94=94=E2=94=80 arcan-wm/
>           =E2=94=94=E2=94=80 durden/

- Nested physical categories are a POLA violation (going to confuse and bre=
ak lots of stuff)
- Tagging is more flexible and discoverable and is already done via virtual=
 categories
- Gentoo uses "gui-wm" while PkgSrc uses "wm" for both X11 window managers
  and Wayland compositors; for example, x11* can be renamed to gui*

Anyway, I'm not interested. I already struggle to find the correct
category even for non-Wayland ports.