Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:40:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Dave Leimbach <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA Geforce 2mx

> There are also accelerated replacements for glx and the nv driver that
> comes with XF864.0.2 that Nvidia distributes for linux.  There is no
> BSD port of this yet. There is a petition to sign that someone set up
> for this but I forget the link. In linux I can get 90fps in Quake3
> with these drivers.  They are pretty fast but require a kernel module
> to be loaded for the XF86 nvidia module <not the nv module that comes
> with XF86 4.0.2> These would obviously be nice to have for FreeBSD and
> others but they may not be willing to port it.
> >
> > There IS 3d support for the Geforce cards built into the X server,
> > though.  OpenGL is accelerated to some
> > degree at least when Module glx is loaded in X.

As I said before, this 3d support is on EVERY card... it's called Software
OpenGL, and it's dog slow. OpenGL is not accelerated at all in this
mode. I was talking about getting HARDWARE 3d support for FreeBSD on the
Geforce2 MX... this is NOT supported, although I heard a few places that
support is in the works.

Ken