Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 18:39:53 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI and apm_saver?

Terry Lambert wrote:

> Donn Miller wrote:
> > ACPI works pretty well on my HP Pavilion Notebook.  But is it possible
> > to get the apm saver (apm_saver.ko) to work with ACPI? From what I
> > understand, acpi is a superset of apm, and is able to provide some
> > emulation of apm functionality.  So, by this principle, shouldn't
> > apm_saver work with acpi?
>
> APM and ACPI are mutually exclusive.
>
> A similar question to yours might be:
>
>         "I had a Toyota Corolla, and I've traded it in on a Mack
>          Semi Tractor; can I use the floor mats from my Corolla
>          in the new Semi?"

> Someone needs to write an "acpi_saver.ko".

Ah!  I thought about that myself.  Basically, I need a way to blank the
LCD screen like apm_saver.ko does.  It doesn't sound like too difficult
a task.  But ACPI worked much better than APM on my laptop.  Basically,
every time apm_saver kicked in, my clock started losing clock ticks.  On
current, APM/apmd makes my clock lose ticks at an alarming rate, even
when no APM functions are active.  But since ACPI seems to work much
better anyways, I'm not too worried about it.