Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2000 06:01:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Runkle <drunkle@home.com>
To:        BobF <FBob@wt.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Log File Entry Decoding

Bob, check out the Linux HOWTO on IPCHAINS. This one is at Rusty
Russel's website (he wrote IPCHAINS). Check down around the middle
of this page for the section "Logging Packets". It will tell you
everything you need to know about decoding those logs.

 http://www.rustcorp.com/linux/ipchains/HOWTO-4.html

You probably are most interested in the IP address parts, though.
This log entry says that your rule 'input' DENIED (dropped)
the probe from 155.230.152.165. You can often find out exactly who
that is by using tools such as 'whois' or 'nslookup', or if you want
an easy web-based search, try:
	http://www.samspade.org/

This hit came in over your ppp0 link, the protocol was TCP (6).
Other probes might use 17 (UDP) or 1 (ICMP).

The hit came to your port 635. Check /etc/services, generally:
	grep 635 /etc/services
returned no match, so check IANA for further information:

	rlzdbase	635/tcp		RLZ DBase
	rlzdbase	635/udp		RLZ DBase

Find port numbers at:
	http://www.iana.org/numbers.html

The probe came from the address 155.230.152.165, from his port
24134. His port doesn't matter, as it's just assigned as needed and
really has no correlation to what he's trying to do. If you're
interested, protocol numbers are available at IANA as well.

The unimportant entries L, S, I, F and T are explained on Rusty's
website, noted above at rustcorp.

Dave