Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:07:43 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@jaguar.ir.miami.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD User Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Latest PPP w/ 3.0-RELEASE doesn't dial last two digits

> I'm trying to setup PPP from 10/27/98 on a 3.0-RELEASE machine.  Here is
> the config that is running on it:
[.....]
>  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT&F OK-AT-OK \\dATD\\T TIMEOUT 4
[.....]
> I'm running ppp from /etc/start_if.tun0 with the line ppp -auto erols in
> it.  Whenever I got to pppctl /var/run/internet and do dial, it only dials
> the first 8 digits.  With a seven digit number, it dials and immediately
> hangs up.  If I do the dialing through term mode, everything works fine.
> The modem in question is a 33.6 ZOOM modem.  This also occured with the
> ppp that came with 3.0-RELEASE.  Is there a timeout I have to increase to
> get this to work?  Is this a known problem?  I couldn't find anything on
> the mailing list searches that sounded similar.  Thanks.

The problem was fixed a day or two ago.  Ppp was failing to untimeout
after receiving the expect string, then while it's paused due to the
\\d before your ATD, the timeout happens.

Either upgrade to the latest & greatest at

  http://www.Awfulhak.org/ppp.html

or increase your timeout strings.

> Joe Clarke

Cheers.