Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:05:49 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

At 10:32 29-03-1999 -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:
>>But when I actually want to accomplish something, I have no choice but to
>>boot Windows. Not because I like it but because I know how to use it. And
>>when I don't, I can always figure it out.
>
>Curious.  Different strokes & all that, I suppose.

No, not different strokes. What I meant was that I have worked in Windows
environment for years, so I am familiar with it. That does not imply that I
prefer Windows. But when I need to accomplish something quickly, it is
easier for me--at this time--to just do it in Windows than to try figure
out how to do it in Unix. After I do it, I then do try to figure it out, so
eventually I can do everything in Unix. But I am not there yet.

>  I'm subscribed to -newbies because dealing with PC
>hradware is a very weird and unusual experience for me.)

For me it is the exact opposite. I used to program under DOS for a long
time, then migrated to Windows, now trying it with FreeBSD.

>Well, a given command will need to have a name in order to be (directly)
>usable.  You generally have the capability for making up your own names
>for (collections of) commands, either by defining an "alias" to the
>"shell" (more on this in a moment) or by putting together "shell
>scripts".

Yes, of course. But before you create an alias, you need to know the real
name. :-) When I think of it, I did not know all DOS commands when I got my
first DOS machine. It took me a while to learn DOS, and it will take a
while to learn Unix. That's just the way it is. :-)

>>And even when I do, it seems the man page is always written in some
>>foreign language that only outwardly resembles English.
>
>Something a little more nearly concrete might help pin-point what the
>nature of the problem is.  For example, citing one particular example of
>such a man page may narrow the field down to the point that trying to
>fix the problem could become feasible.

I wrote that in the context of a general chat, not trying to solve a
specific problem, just talking about the steep learning curve. :-)

>>Apropos usually does not help me much either.
>
>For any particular reason?

Pretty much the same as man. You need to get the right word to apropos to
get the right answer. In other words, it is probably quite useful when you
are already experienced with Unix. If you are fishing for an answer without
having a clue what exactly you are looking for, it just spits out a hundred
cryptic words with no explanation.

So it is more useful to refresh your memory about things you already know
(and perhaps just do not remember the exact spelling of) than a learning
tool for a newbie.

>Many folks are willing to help; that's one of the nice things about the
>UNIX community in general, and the FreeBSD community in particular.

Yes, thank goodness for that!

But
>no one *can* help unless you at least make the effort to identify the
>nature of the mis-match between your expectations and your perceptions.
>
>Few folks here (especially me) can read your mind.

Well, I was not asking a question. I was simply describing my experience
with learning about Unix (this is a CHAT list for newbies, isn't it). I
prefer to try figure it out first, and only if I cannot, then I ask.

>>Just days ago I have installed XFree86 3.3.3.1. Its interface is
>>reminiscent of Windows 1.0,
>
>I have no idea what "Windows 1.0" refers to, but referring to a singular
>interface for X11 is rather like referring to "the shell" in UNIX:  you
>can pick and choose.

Windows 1.0 referred to the first release of MS Windows. It was ugly.

>  At this point in your narrative, few folks are
>likely to have much of a cluse as to what "window manager" (if any) you
>chose to use with X11.

I haven't chosen one yet. I was talking about the default manager, twm,
that comes with X11.

I don't think I can really choose much right now as it keeps locking up on
me, presumably because I do not have enough memory. Frankly, that surprised
me though. I sorta believed that if I had enough memory to run Windows 95
with Netscape Communicator, it would be enough for X11 with a single xterm
and the xclock, but it appears not to be the case.

I have asked for help from the X11 people, sent them a detailed description
of my system and my X11 configuration, but, alas, did not even received an
acknowledgement.

>>and it locks up my system either immediately or
>>in a few minutes (mouse cursor disappears, ctl-alt-backspace does not
>>work), and the only way out is by turning the system off, ouch).
>
>That sounds like a fairly serious misconfiguration, all right.  And yes,
>UNIX (in general) and FreeBSD (in particular) tend to fail to flat-out
>not work in such cases; rather, they'll generally try to carry on as best
>they can.

One of the times when it locks up immediately is if I manage to move the
mouse cursor to the edge of the screen. The cursor disappears, and no
further movement of the mouse can bring it back. At that point
ctl-alt-backspace does not respond either.

Another sure way to get locked up is to move the cursor over the clock and
click on it.

Incidentally, it happens under KDE too, even though the xterm window does
not lose focus, my keystrokes are no longer accepted.

It appears that if I do not move the mouse, or just confine it to the xterm
window, I can work indefinitely. Of course, there is not much reason to
load X11 just to use a single xterm...

I tried it two ways: 1. Not loading moused and configuring it as Microsoft
mouse at /dev/cuaa0, 2. Loading moused and configuring it as SysMouse at
/dev/sysmouse. Makes no difference (no problem under FreeBSD console with
moused running, which is the main reason I suspect the problem stems from
not having enough memory and not from misconfiguration).

You mentioned some books... I am wondering if you, or anyone, knows of a
good introduction to windows managers for programmers, one that could get
you started in writing your own windows manager. Secondly, a good intro to
X11 programming. I have read what I have available (Unix Unleashed,
Internet Edition, has a nice description of the basics). It is clearly the
same basic principle as programming MS Windows (I mean the client/server
model, and things like that). It appears to me that MS pretty much took the
X11 idea and ported it to DOS (the idea, not all the nuances of the
implementation).

And since I am quite experienced in programming MS Windows, it might
actually be easier for me to learn how to write X11 programs than how to
configure X11 properly. :-) But I need a good reference book to its library
(or libraries).

Cheers,

Adam

P.S. Being a programmer is certainly helpful. When I first started with
FreeBSD, and could not find the right command to do something, it was often
easier just to write my own program to do it! For example, I wrote a
program called tuc (Text to Unix Conversion) to let me convert DOS text
files to Unix text files and back, simply because I needed to convert some
files and could not find any help with apropos. I even placed it on my ftp
site (ftp://ftp.whizkidtech.net/unix/tuc/), and several other newbies were
quite happy about it, while old pros assured me no one would ever need it,
hehehe!
---
Want to design your own web counter?
Get GCL 2.10 from http://www.whizkidtech.net/gcl/