Date:               Tue, 12 Sep 1995 08:39:15 EST
From:      "Christian" <PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@mercury.csg.peachnet.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         Printing Help

Hi again,

    I have been trying to get my freebsd box to print postscript to a
remote hp laserjet 4si using ghostscript in a filter and have met
with no success.  I suspect that the problem is that the file is not
being passed through the filter.  I say this because after trying to
get the simple filter that I wrote to work I tried using a "test"
filter that wrote some lines to a file in  /tmp...and nothing
happened.   Here's what my printcap file looks like:

#   @(#)printcap    5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90

#lp|local line printer:\
#   :lp=/dev/lp:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
lp|remote laserjet printer:\
       :lp=:\
       :rm=168.26.193.121:\
       :rp=raw:\
       :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp_raw.log:\
       :mx#0:\
       :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
       :if=/usr/local/bin/psfilt:

and this is what the psfilt looks like:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=ljet4 -sOutputFile=- -

I don't understand why this isn't working....I've read everything
that I can find and tried everything that I know to do.

Please let me know if there is something that I am doing wrong or if
there is something I am missing.

Btw. the system is running 2.0.5-RELEASE if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Christian

Christian Plazas <plazas_christian@cc.csg.peachnet.edu>
Columbus College, Columbus,GA