Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:23:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        luismi1@ibm.net (Luis Miravalles)
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to boot with Creative-Labs CDROM

> I have the "Official 386BSD Release 1.0" phurcased in 1994. This version
> is bootable with Mitsumi or SCSI CD-ROM, but I have a Creative-Labs
> CDROM with a Sound Blaster 16.
>
> Could you tell me if there is a Program/Utility/Drive to boot from
> this CD with my CD-ROM ?

This is a FreeBSD list, not a 386BSD list.

I don't think there is a 386BSD list at all.

The way that a boot from a CDROM works is that it must be a device
recognized as bootable by the BIOS.

Since you are using an interface attached to a sound card, you don't
have a BIOS that recognizes the device as a boot contoller.  So even
if you had a boot program that ran from DOS, you still could not boot
from this device without a BIOS-level INT 13 redirector that knew how
to talk to the controller.

If you are a hardware hacker, you could add support for the device to
your INT 13 BIOS and burn yourself some new BIOS ROM's.

Basically, you are SOL because of your hardware.

"Boot-from-CDROM" is a fluff option in any case.  I believe you can
make a boot install floppy from the CDROM and boot that instead to
get the OS loaded... at least FreeBSD and NetBSD work that way.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---