Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 2012 11:15:20 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@mail.zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Subject:   x11/nvidia-driver: crash with FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE/amd64 when module loaded via /boot/loader.conf

--------------enig6B52212B6B8BF5873016CE57

On one of my FreeBSD 9.0 boxes running FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE/amd64 (CLANG
built), equipted with a nVidia GT760Ti graphics board, loading the
nvidia module via /boot/loader.conf results in a page fault with random
error messages before rebooting.

Booting the box without the nvidia.ko module loaded in he preboot phase,
results in a stable system. I can then load the module via kldload and
the system jumps then into X11-screen as usual.

I recompile x11/nvidia-driver on a regular basis when recompiling the
kernel, so the module is always up to date and en par with the kernel
sources.

The problem occurs idendependently of having kernel module drm.ko loaded
or not. I also tried falling back to the older nvidia driver 285.05.09
(I use at the moment successfully 290.10).

Before issuing a PR and doing a full debug reconfiguration of my box,
I'd like to ask whether this is a commong, well known problem since with
FreeBSD 9.0, I'd like to stay with STABLE rather than with RELEASE.

Regards,
Oliver