Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 1996 19:47:55 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: `const char rcsid[]' vs -traditional

Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> wrote:

>Many sources no longer compile with non-ANSI compilers because they
>begin with
>
>	const char rcsid[] = ...
>
>`const' is normally hidden for non-ANSI compilers by defining it as
>nothing in <sys/cdefs.h>, but copyright and id strings are normally
>defined before including anything.

I find:
	static const char rcsid[] = ...

How long will it be before the ANSI compilers start discarding unreferenced
static data?  Or is "rcsid" already a special case in gcc?  :-)

Should we switch to #ident?  It doesn't do anything useful on 2.1.5, but
we could fix that.

	#ident "$Id: frobble.c,v ..."

What does the C standard say about #ident?  Has anyone put a copy of the
standard on the web?

Stephen.