Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2004 11:36:10 -0800
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATH driver doesn't associate with turbo.

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 10:55 am, Randy Bush wrote:
> it seems mode 11b is preferred.  if i boot in the presense
> of both kinds of APs, it seems to choose the 11b.  i can
> then say
>
>    ifconfig ath0 mode 11a
>
> and it will happily switch to 11a

11b is not preferred.  AP selection is done according to various criteria like
compatibility (e.g. station wants WEP and AP is using WEP).  If you do

ifconfig ath0 debug

you will see what's going on.  The AP with the best rssi is typically
selected.  To lock on to a particular AP you have to steer the algorithm by
constraining the choices.  This issue comes up often--it would be great if
there were a connection between the 802.11 layer and a user app that would
help users select an AP based on scan results but I don't know of anything
like this for *bsd.  Windows users are used to have a "site survey" app that
does a scan and presents a list of AP's to choose.

	Sam