Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 1999 10:49:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dan Bongert <dbongert@ssc.wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   importance of NFS locking?

At work, I'm thinking of replacing our aging Tru64 Alpha mail server with a
dual PIII running some variant of {Free|Net|Open}BSD. Most of my experience
with Intel-based Unix has been with Linux, primarily RedHat. One of the
things I noticed with Linux was the horrible NFS performance (that, and I
don't really like RPMs--ports is much better).

I'm not that experienced with NFS, and the way our mail (Sendmail, pop,
and imap) server is set up requires lots of NFS traffic. (Serves mail
spools via NFS, client for home directories for IMAP and stuff). Apparently,
one of the large drawbacks to NFS for FreeBSD is the lack of file locking.
But, it seems that lots of people use it, and even O'Reilly's NIS/NFS book
mentions that locking apparently goes against the whole idea of NFS.

Am I going to get in trouble for this recommendation? Or will it work OK?

--
Dan Bongert                     dbongert@ssc.wisc.edu
SSCC Unix System Administrator  (608) 262-9857