Date:      Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:32:03 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Blade 100 w/ 5.4-PRERELEASE console

Marius Strobl wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 12:22:14AM -0600, Will Andrews wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>David O'Brien asked me to email you about this issue.  I have a
>>Sun Blade 100 running FreeBSD since 5.0.  Recently, it appears
>>that a change was made to uart(4) which causes the console to
>>break.  With older RELENG_5 kernels (specifically, mine from
>>November 2004 and the Feb_2005 SNAP001 version), the kernel sends
>>messages to ttya (serial console).  However, with the recent
>>versions, you have to set {output,input}-device to "ttya" in the
>>OpenBoot PROM, to get the kernel messages.  I believe the system
>>will still boot.  But apparently with Solaris (and older FreeBSD)
>>the kernel sent messages to the serial console without needing to
>

> This should be fixed in sys/dev/uart/uart_cpu_sparc64.c rev. 1.18.
> Could you please update and verify that you now get a serial console
> on the Blade 100 with uart(4) when input-device=keyboard and
> output-device=screen but no keyboard is plugged in?

Thanks.  Once there is some verification from David or others I'll start
6-current snapshots, and I would imagine that 5.4-pre snapshots will
start soon too.

>>mess with the OBP variables.  I believe this is needless pain for
>>users trying to install FreeBSD on their Blade 100s (and possibly
>>other models).
>

> No, this is a nit which easily can be worked around. A real pain is
> that binutils are broken on sparc64 and users have to manually apply
> a patch to the base src and recompile binutils in order to be able
> to build a number of ports.
>
> Marius

So, um, where do we stand on this?  Is it really a problem, is there an
issue of lack of time, lack of resources, or what?  Is it fixable by
doing a vendor import of a few files?

Scott