Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 95 11:31:45 EDT
From:      jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com (James Leppek)
To:        davidg@Root.com, amurai@spec.co.jp
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another reason not to change 0.0.0.0 into 192.0.0.1 in PPP

WOW, this caused much more discussion than I thought it would :-)

I can give you my ppp log but I do not think it is important.
The important point is that we have a config file "ppp.conf"
and it allows us to set our initial IP address. If the user
selects an address ppp should not secretly override it.
I think that behavior is wrong, it does not matter what it
actually changes it to, the APPROACH is wrong.
If dynamic dial needs to have some valid address then
lets use the config file and add one, that is what
a config file is for.
Lets have a dynamic_ifaddr setting if that will do it.

I administer a dozen machines(sparcs,pc's running fbsd and windows), I also
am a network management and security protocol researcher
involved with IETF, IEEE, OSI working groups, I am not a lost "newbie" :-)

Lets just chat about whether or not an application that provides
a configuration facility should override the supplied values.
If the application is providing different types of services then
perhaps the configuration file needs to reflect this.
It sounds like there is a need to have a "valid" IP for dynamic dial
so create a config option to support that, BUT, such a mapping
should not be "hidden". Even the selection of a private address
would avoid conflict with the world but may involve a conflict within
a private network. I know of several private networks in the area that
utilize the 192.168.x.x. What would happen if they wanted to supply
ppp services to their employee's?

If this mapping is needed in some cases lets not make it a
hard coded secret, lets make it an option :-)

HMMMM I seem to have rambled on a bit here :-) Must be that
holiday atmosphere...

(oops.. forgot, international mailing list => today is a holiday in the US :-) )

Jim Leppek