Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2009 20:26:51 -0500
From:      "Matt Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Dan Nelson" <dnelson@allantgroup.com>, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW in-kernel NAT: How to compile?

> At 05:43 PM 2/1/2009, Dan Nelson wrote:
>
>>Do you have "options LIBALIAS" in your kernel config?
>
> Nope. There was nothing that said that such an option was needed
> (or even that it existed). I did find it, via a recursive grep, in
> a file labeled "NOTES" a couple of levels up in the directory
> hierarchy. I'm trying a compile now to see if that's all that's
> needed to fix the problem.
>
> It looks as if there's no longer one easy place to find out how to
> configure a kernel. The options used to all be in a LINT file that
> was present in the configuration directory.... No more.

The LINT file moved from a static file to a dynamically-generated file a
while ago since not all options are applicable for all platforms.

A generic NOTES file (in /usr/src/sys/conf) is combined with a
platform-specific NOTES file (in /usr/src/sys/<platform>/conf, where
<platform> is i386, amd64, pc98, etc) to create the LINT file.

$ cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
$ make LINT
cat ../../conf/NOTES NOTES | sed -E -n -f ../../conf/makeLINT.sed > LINT

Regards,
--
Matt Emmerton