Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2005 10:58:39 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>
To:        "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Today's Work

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 06:34:42PM +0100, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> I'm through for the day. The following has been done in my Perforce
> branch (and a full build is running so that it will be available at
> http://dragonfly.the-bofh.org/~dodell/en/index.html)

Hi Devon, this looks much better.  It is quite nice.  I think the
layout is a strong improvement, and the CSS drop downs are exactly as
I was thinking.

>  o	Removed the left navigation column and put
> 	contents in a `dropdown' menu up top. This
> 	menu could be fixed up to look a bit nicer...
> 	Ideas?

I get a little jitter when I use the dropdown menu with Opera on
FreeBSD.

>  o	Moved news and press to the bottom of the
> 	main content. The main content could use a
> 	change.
>
>  o	Moved icons under left bar; they look better
> 	there IMO.

Yes they do look better there.

>  o	Stylized the footer.

This looks great.

>  o	Made two separate color themes for the site.
> 	More themes can be made styling the site in
> 	pretty much any way imaginable.

I like the logo on the second level pages, such as :

http://dragonfly.the-bofh.org/~dodell/en/docs.html

It looks nice because the logo is integrated with the top navigation
bar.

On the front page, there is still too much open space in the upper
left around the logo.  It seems juxtaposed by the navigation bar
instead of integrated.  Maybe if the logo were somehow connected to
the top navigation bar then it would look a little better in my
opinion.

> I expected this version to cut down on page size a bit, but it hasn't as
> much as I had hoped. The page is only 3K smaller at the moment, and the
> stylesheet adds an extra 4K. It should be possible to remove some
> unnecessary things and save a bit of bandwidth as well :)

Keep up the good work.  This is my favorite mock up that I have seen
so far.  Even if others think we must stick with a red/orange theme,
your layout work would be a nice improvement.

	- Murray