Date:      Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:58:14 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>
Cc:        Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Deadlock during buildworld

Jeff Roberson wrote:

[ ... patch ... looks right to me, but I wonder if it opens a race
      window in the "vput() blocks" case ...either way, it's no
      worse than the code it replaces... ]

> I'll look into it some more, but it looks like someone is holding the exec
> map while they are trying to lock that vnode.  That doesn't seem correct,
> but this patch will fix the problem if that is the case.  It's too bad we
> dont have witness on lockmgr..

It's too bad that lockmgr() is such a hulking behemoth; it really
should not be being used for this sort of thing (IMO).  Every time
someone complained about it in the past (including me, FWIW), the
answer was that its use was a stopgap, and that once the code was
working, the locks would be replaced with lighter-weight code which
was not yet written.  Well, now it's written, and it has WITNESS, as
a side benefit, but the lockmgr() calls are unforntunately still
being put in.  8-(.

-- Terry