Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:31:39 -0400
From:      mflan@mindspring.com
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Natd not working properly.

 Hello,

 I am trying to get natd working properly I have BSD with 2 Nic cards
a cable modem going into one and the other going to a hub. I also have
a windows box going into the hub. The windows box gets an IP 169.254.158.147 but does not get a gateway. When pinging the IP for the freebsd nic going into my hub 192.168.0.1 it gets the error destination host unreachable. It also gets the same error when trying to ping the IP asigned from my cable modem. From the FreeBSD box when trying to ping the IP to the Windows box it gives destination host unreachable but also says source and shows the IP asigned from my cable modem. Below I am putting the relevant configuration info from
my kernel, rc.conf, natd.conf, and etc/services. Also the cabling and nic cards work correctly cause with the same cable and nics I am able
to set this up on a windows network.

    Thanks in advance,

       Mike F.

1. Kernel info keeping it default to accept for now to rule out a firewall problem.

options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT           #firewall
options         IPDIVERT             #divert sockets
options     IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE   #print information about
#options     "IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100" #limit verbosity
options     TCP_DROP_SYNFIN      #drop TCP packets with SYN+FIN
options     TCP_RESTRICT_RST     #restrict emission of TCP RST

2.natd.conf

dynamic yes
use_sockets yes
same_ports yes

3. /etc/services

natd            8668/divert # Network Address Translation

4.IPFW rules
bash# ipfw list
00100 allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200 deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8